Our New Home
The kennels, which we believe are one of the best purpose-built homes in the UK, are surrounded by green fields and towering trees which allow for excellent exercise facilities and the opportunity for potential owners to walk and get to know their dog of choice better.
In recent years the charity recognised that the facilities offered by our rehoming centre in Digbeth were falling behind the expected standard of a modern animal welfare establishment. With very little room to expand the existing home the Trustees decided to find a new location for the centre on the South side of Birmingham, a site that can enhance the service provided by the charity now and for years to come.
Working at Birmingham Dogs Home can be a very rewarding experience in the knowledge that you are helping to make a real difference to the stray and neglected dogs in our care. We encourage personal development and offer a variety of staff training courses.
CV's are NOT accepted as a form of application.
A new and exciting job opportunity has become available at our Birmingham Rehoming Centre to assist in the day-to-day care of our homeless dogs, providing love and attention and to prepare them for happier tomorrows in their new forever homes.
To apply for the job please read the full Job description below then complete and return the application form attached to email@example.com (which can be scanned) or post to:
Areika Bickerton, Birmingham Dogs Home, Catherine-de-Barnes Lane, Catherine-de-Barnes, Solihull, B92 0DJ
APPLICATION FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5PM ON SATURDAY 30th SEPTEMBER 2017 - Applications received after this date will not be accepted
*Candidates must possess;*
Post: Canine Carer
Responsible to: Home Manager
Salary: £14,454.42 per annum starting salary. Increasing to £15,280.62 after completing a successful probationary period
Objectives of Role: To provide love, care and protection for the homeless dogs brought into Birmingham Dogs' Home
Current as at: September 2017
Start Time: 8.30 am – 5.00pm (37.5 hours per week. Monday – Sunday (5 days per week) Days off will be allocated upon commencement of work
Duties and Responsibilities:
Feeding - All dogs to be fed at 3pm every day unless under Veterinary instruction. Thin dogs must be fed twice a day. Feeding and water bowls must be washed every day and fresh water placed in water bowls.
Exercise - Whenever possible dogs on your designated block must be exercised either in one of the enclosed areas or around the dog walk.
Health - Any injuries or signs of ill health displayed by any dog must be reported immediately. Dogs prescribed medication by the vet must be given this treatment as instructed.
Aggressive behaviour - Any aggressive behaviour demonstrated by any dog MUST be reported immediately to protect the public and other staff.
Dealing with the public – You will be required to meet members of the public and to talk to them about the dogs that you are caring for in order to get them a home. You must be friendly, polite and above all, professional at all times.
Uniform & equipment - Uniforms must be worn at all times. Any damage to equipment issued to you must be reported immediately and, if found to be due to negligence, may necessitate you to pay for a replacement.
Breaks times – All breaks must be taken promptly and it is imperative that you return to your designated kennel block on time
1. All areas within kennel block assigned to a Canine Carer, including service points and sluice rooms, must be kept clean and tidy at all times.
2. Dogs must be bathed when dirty/smelly at the earliest opportunity.
3. Bowls and bedding should be removed daily with dirty sheets replaced and placed in laundry room for washing.
4. Floors, coving, walls and beds to be scrubbed to remove stains and residues.
5. Prior to kennel cleaning all dogs must be locked into the outside run by use of the dividing hatch. Water, bleach and detergent should be used in the cleaning process.
6. Any solids or urine in the kennels must be removed with a scoop, placed in bucket and flushed away in sluice as soon as possible and the area mopped with bleach and water.
7. The windows in the kennels must be cleaned regularly to remove stains and residues and, in addition, kennel fronts should be scrubbed inside and out daily and sponsorship plaques wiped.
8. Once the inside kennels have been cleaned the dogs must be let in and the hatches locked down with the same process of cleaning then used on the outside kennels.
Additional duties - You may be required to carry out other duties for which you are trained in order to assist in the smooth running of the Dogs’ Home.
Closing date for all applications is SATURDAY 30TH SEPTEMBER 2017 AT 5PM.
If you DO NOT hear from us 2 weeks or submitting your application form, please assume you were unsuccessful on this occasion. Please note that as a charity, in order to contain costs, we are unable to acknowledge every indiviudal application.